Friday, December 21, 2012

Strangers

I know, it's been a while since I posted something but life has been hectic because I had finals this week and I've been doing my best to study. Though my first few tests didn't turn out to good, I got better! Today, I was lucky enough to have passed my hardest final with a really good grade! since that moment I had a good day.
My original plan was to spend some time with some friends when school was out, but it didn't work out. Instead, I went out with my parents. We went to Costco and then Target. When I was in Target I was approached by a gentlemen who said he had moved to Cali from Colorado! Well, first, I've never been approached by anyone, and second, it was my first time talking to someone from Colorado. I know, "don't talk to strangers" but how am I going to make friends?
That's the problem nowadays. People are so comfortable with only a handful of people, but why restrict yourself? At the same time, this approach can be taken in a bad way, so precautions are necessary. Me, I've always been an odd person, and am open to friendly chatter. This man, though older than I was, was very nice and very approachable. Apparently so was I. I even looked mad, but this man had the courage to talk to me. I was more excited than scared which made the experience that much better.
He guessed my race, my age, and we just talked about people. People nowadays don't take the time to calm down. As he said, "People seem really rushed." It's true, most of them are, but what excuse do the others have? Given the right circumstance, it would be exciting to approach a stranger and get to know them even just for that day. I may never see this man again, but he's definitely opened my eyes to possibilities. Maybe we should live a little calmer and just experiment. My day was going well, and he made it that much better.
I'm a friendly person and I'm not usually mean, so when this man talked to me I didn't ignore him, or make an excuse to keep walking. Like those people who beg in front of a store for spare change and usually we just ignore them or say that you have no change, which may or may not be true. That's another thing that happened tonight, my mom gave me money to donate to a woman sitting in front of Target. It made me feel better and I'm sure it made that woman feel better.
Anyway, my point is, we need to stop being introverted and say that we are very outgoing because we're nothing near this man. This man, without any fear of rejection approached me. Maybe I can have that much courage. We should all have courage, because life is just too damn short to keep just to ourselves and close friends and family. Let's explore! My challenge: approach a stranger and try to get to know them. Who knows, maybe they'll be your new best friend!

No comments:

Post a Comment