Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Life itself

My name is Damaris Chavez. I've been in a relationship for more than a year now. I consider myself in love, but that's something to be debated over with my parents. After this period of being with my boyfriend I've formed a bubble where I tend not to think about a lot of random things anymore. In my AP Rhetoric class we've been learning about Transcendentalism. Transcendentalism, I'm not going to lie, is very confusing, but what I learned something recently: I must cherish life. I'm very involved with church (I'm Catholic) and so I refer to God a lot.
All these factors I just stated have been involved with my first blog post: Life is too short to neglect any longer.
I have not been on earth for very long, and neither had a peer of mine. Someone passed away that attended the same school as me. She was 17. I didn't know her personally but when everything began to happen it caught me off guard and as quickly as it was reported, she was gone. Just like that.
Her boyfriend sat at her bedside everyday. Her family made many facebook posts and twitter posts. Everyone in the school was updated. Since I have been in a relationship "What if" never really occurred to me. However, after this incident, "what if"s kept flying into my mind and made my heart ache. Such a loss can never be replaced. I am only left to imagine how it does feel.
Ironically, in my AP Rhet class we began reading excerpts from different Transcendentalists and one was about a blade of grass. I know, a blade of grass means nothing, it's just something that grows and dies. That's what I thought, but then I really began to think. What about that blade of grass is so important? What does that have to do with me?
Turns out, that blade of grass is very similar to life itself. Life is neglected, it's something no one truly considers a gift until there is a tragedy. Whether it was a loss of a loved one, a near death experience, or even witnessing a death. Grass grows from the ground, it dies eventually, but then another blade of grass replaces that blade.
Now think about life. Life is about living and dying. It's up to us to live the in between. Life is shorter than I expected, but I know now that there's no preventing the end... I wish there was a way to know, but God has the answer, to me at least. Last night, as i volunteered at the church, the whole night was about this peer of mine. It was hard for me to sit through because I'm very sensitive and I don't know how to react to these situations.
Long story short, I'm left with one question about this death. Was it Good luck? Bad luck? Who knows!

No comments:

Post a Comment