Friday, December 7, 2012

Remembering Pearl Harbor

Seventy-one years ago to the day Pearl Harbor was attacked by Japanese air force. So many lives were lost. It was such a huge tragedy and I never realized how extreme the situation was, until now... I've always avoided watching the movie, but today, marking the day, and considering I had been sick most of the day, I decided to finally watch the movie with my dad. Well, I don't regret it. It's made me think a lot though.
December 7, 1941 Pearl Harbor was brutally attacked by Japanese. Thousands upon thousands were killed that day. September 11, 2001 the World Trade Center, the Pentagon, and Flight 93 crashed and burned. Thousands upon thousands were killed that day. A 71 year difference and yet the outcome was still the same: Revenge and more killing.
I understand that the United States needed to stand up for itself and prove that it's bigger than any other country, but I see know reward when death is involved.
Here comes the teenager side of me: history teachers, for years, say that we must learn our American history so that we prevent making the same mistake. Well, what's the point of learning if we're going to end up making that mistake anyway?
It's like a parent, telling their child to stay away from drugs, alcohol, and sex, but because they prevent them the children try it anyway. It's hard to take anything seriously from our history because, knowing America, we'd end up doing it again. Whether it's in war, or elections, America is still making the same mistakes.
There's too much death... too much war... too much stupidity in the world it's driving me crazy. It irritates me to watch repeated mistakes continue to take lives. I have said this several times already and I will continue to say it: Life is too precious. I don't care if the excuse is that they're Japanese or Muslim, we all live on this Earth and we should acknowledge that fact. Think me insensitive or narrow-minded, but I already made it clear that this is simply my opinion and I am not telling anyone to believe what I believe. This is my first amendment opinion. Here's my next challenge: let's have a moment of silence at any moment we can and acknowledge all the deaths in the world whether it was our side or the "enemy's." I believe in cherishing life, don't take that away.

No comments:

Post a Comment