Thursday, December 6, 2012

Family

Today was an odd day, but it made me realize something: Family is very important to anyone's life.
I spent the afternoon with my boyfriend and his mom and his brother. The experience, let's just say, was interesting. They're not a family I'm use to. My family is super close and inseparable unless there's a disagreement, but even then, we get along very well. Normally I'm with my parents or sister, we get along that well.
My boyfriend's family is quite different. I'm not going to get into details on how they are different, but I will say that they made me think about family and how much that contributes with everything else.
With mannerisms and opinions, parents are shown through their kids. Kids come along everyday saying that they're Democrat because their parents are, or they're Catholic because their parents are Catholics. It's interesting to identify who a kid belongs to but it's also disappointing to find kids who lack parents, support, or love.
Ask around, you'll find at least one person that got to where they are on their own with their own determination and motivation. You will also find a person that gave up because they had no support at home. "I get bad grades because I have no one to sit down and help me at home," or "My parents are never home to help me." It's sad to find out that these individuals didn't have what I have.
Support... That's all they yearn for. Someone to sit down with them and explain, in simpler words, how to figure out a word problem or help them with a project. Someone that will show up to any of your little league games, soccer games, football games, etc. Someone to scream your name from the sidelines and agitate the Hell out of you. That's what every kid wants whether they know it or not. It's human nature to yearn for that support, or even that love.
Love. It's a feeling that is normally earned through each other, but with family, it's given to you even if you hate each other. (There's always going to be likes and dislikes within family.) When we experience a loss of a loved one, you realize just how much you cared. Even when you don't get to see someone very often, it makes you think about that love. Love is special to anyone and everyone. Never forget to spread love because it's something everyone wants.
As I look around me I realize how grateful I am to have such an amazing family. My family is what helped me get through all those tough times, those achievements, and even all the heartbreaks and tears. I'm a fragile girl, when that time comes I cry all too much. Anyway, I'm going to give you a challenge: Sit down and think about your family. Think about what they've done for you, what they haven't done for you. If you miss them, or yearn to see them, do so, and tell them how much you appreciate them. If not, then replace your family with your friends and do the same.
Fulfill this challenge and realize the truth of what your family has given you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment