Monday, July 8, 2013

Missing a part of me

"Distance makes the heart grow fonder." I sure hope so. It's been almost two weeks since my mom and I arrived in Colombia and I've been missing a lot of people. I hadn't realized how much my friends had an impact on me until I was already gone.
Before I left we had been hanging out repeatedly and now that I'm, I don't even know how many miles, away I really miss meeting up with them and talking. My group of friends are very different from most group of friends. I met them at church but somehow we're not very "churchy." We're not afraid to talk about sex, politics, and even our own personal interpretations of our Catholic faith, which most people would consider sinful, but we're pretty open minded about everything.
Almost every time I had met up with my friends it was at a park later in the evening since we were broke. It sounds odd but it was really the best experiences because we just sat around and talked and it was nice. We've grown a strong bond that I haven't had with a group of people in the longest time, if ever. I really appreciate these people and although some like to drink and smoke and others prefer to be more conservative, we know each other better than any one. Not in an intimate way but I love my friends like I love my family. I don't know what I'd do without them, and now that I'm so far from them I miss them.
Another group of people is my family that I had at church, the Youth Ministry I volunteer with. They've been getting ready for all the summer events we usually put on in the summer and I'm missing out on them. I wish I could help and enjoy myself being with them but what can I do? All I really can do is pray for them and hope everything is a success.
I'm sure you're wondering why my family wasn't the first thing I'd say, it's because the only family I left behind was my older sister who is 24 and my dad. I know my sister is doing good and working and my dad communicates with my mom so I get to hear from him a lot. Yes, I miss them, but I know that they're okay and usually busy.
Lastly, the one person I miss the most is my boyfriend. It was heart wrenching celebrating two years with him then leaving two days later. The worst part is being in Colombia and seeing nothing but couples walking around hugging, kissing, and holding hands; it makes me want to cry because I can't feel that for another 4 weeks or so. In the beginning of my trip I had tried to call him everyday but it started to get complicated since a lot of my family members don't own a landline and don't have a lot of minutes on their phone. I know how hard they have to work to be able to afford all that so I'd rather not abuse what little they have, which means that I don't get the privilege of speaking to my boyfriend for days.
With new technology I've been trying to communicate through Facebook but the issue I've been facing is that my boyfriend doesn't check his Facebook as often as I had originally hoped. That bothers me since before I left he had gone on his phone so much to check instagram I thought he'd at least make an effort to check Facebook. Also, I'm not sure he misses me as much as I miss him or else he would be making an even bigger effort to communicate with me. It makes me very sad, but that's how I feel.
Today I decided to do an experiment: every time I thought of my boyfriend I would keep track with tallys. When I got back and had time to sit down and think I counted 20 times if not more. I miss my boyfriend more than anything else. I love him despite what people say or think and it's hard being so far. If only he read my blog then he'd know, but I know that somehow he knows.
Here is my challenge to you: Try and keep track of how much you miss someone. It'll help make you appreciate them even more.

No comments:

Post a Comment