Monday, July 15, 2013

The injustice

I realized that I've been missing a few updates in the United States, but I have seen that there is a lot of talk about the Zimmerman trial and how he was set free despite him shooting a 13 year old black kid. Some say racism and most are angry about the decision. I have my moments with the trial.
When I first heard the issue I was angry that Zimmerman was getting sympathy for shooting a boy who looked suspiciously black, I mean dangerous. Skittles, they said, was why Tyron had been shot, and because he was wearing a hoodie. I think it's time we protest clothes designers and make sure hoodies are banned or at least no longer seem suspicious. Shooting someone is a risk. Taking a life cannot be erased or undone.
However, I have been talking about how judging people is an instinct, so what Zimmerman had done was misjudge Tyron by automatically accusing him of doing something wrong. But again, shooting someone is like painting, once you make a stroke with paint, it can never be taken back. In my journalism class we tackled a few current events and what seemed to come up a lot was police shooting innocent people because they thought the person was suspicious.
I argued a lot with my teacher saying that shooting was unnecessary; if they were shooting to injure that would be fine but shooting someone dead didn't make any sense to me. My dad told me about this man who had taken his son as a hostage in his basement with a gun when police showed up. The father demanded that they bring down food. When the father went up the ladder to retrieve the food he fell off and police began to shoot him. Of course by the time the dad had reached the ground, he was dead. Keep in mind that the dad was unarmed going to retrieve the food, so the police pretty much shot an unarmed man dead.
I was furious that the police is becoming more and more ignorant. Shouldn't they be trained to make decisions under strenuous situations? Shooting a man with a cell phone because they thought it was a gun? Granted, it was dark and the man was trying to get away. Hey but maybe the man's only form of defense was his cell phone. Anyway, there have been many situations where I get suspicious as to why the police are being released with no charges for killing a man.
In my history class we did a few debates and one of them was about a black man who had killed two people and was hung. It was a tricky case because this black man  had shot these people twice each then threw them in a ditch. However he was pleading not guilty because of self defense. Personally, if some one popped out and attacked me I would shoot them as many times as I can because the shock will be too much and I would want to make sure the bastards are dead. I wouldn't excessively shoot them because I felt like it. Now throwing the bodies in a ditch I cannot defend because that does seem a bit suspicious, but I would have given the man a chance to explain.
The class agreed with the state while I agreed with the man. It all seemed too odd for me, maybe even a little racist because there have been plenty of other men who murdered people just to murder and they were kept alive living in jail or prison, but this man was hung for shooting two people and throwing them in a ditch. It reminded me of the book To Kill a Mockingbird. (if you have not read the book I apologize for the spoiler alert) In the book there was a disabled black man being accused of raping and abusing this white girl. The man pleaded not guilty because the girl had wanted to have sex with him since he was nice to her but he denied her. As for the abuse, he said he could not hurt her, not with one arm, the right one. When the doctor went up to the stand he described the girl's injuries as a mark of a left handed man choking her. The lawyer of the black man proved that her father had been the one to hurt her and rape her because he was an alcoholic, left-handed man.
The all white jury, however, found the black man guilty. While in jail the black man tried to escape. The guards allowed him to try and climb the fence with one arm; when he was almost to the top, they shot him 17 times. Justice? Not to me.
Although this was just a book, it seems more accurate than most would think. The racism still exists, despite what people say, and justice has been tampered with for a while, but no matter how hard we fight and protest and try to uncover all the lies and deception, we will never win. As far as the Zimmerman trial is concerned, I belive the verdict was unjust, but what can I do about? Exactly. Justice will never change, try to understand that.

No comments:

Post a Comment