Saturday, February 15, 2014

Life is what you make it

I sat down wondering what I was going to type today... something angry? depressing? complicated? But then I realized I write too much about issues, why not focus on something fluffy? So to speak. There are a lot of issues in the world and I'm not denying that or else I'm making myself blind to reality but sometimes we need to consider that there could be a few good things.
As everyone knows, yesterday was Valentine's Day and there were so many mixed emotions in the air and it was all completely obvious. Being recently single I was dreading the day and scared that I would break down, feel lonely, and not want to get out of bed for a while, but, to my surprise, everything went extremely well. I got to school early so there were hardly any people around. As the day progressed I was surrounded by girls with flowers and balloons and cakes and presents, but it didn't make me sad or lonely, instead it made me want candy and lots of it! Eventually I got candy and chocolates, but I also got an ear full of people who "despise" the day.
When I say people, I mean those single girls that wish they had someone to make the day special, but you don't necessarily need a boy to make the day special. Like any other day, you are the one responsible for what happens and if you want the day to be special then make it special yourself. For instance, instead of moping around and crying over how I was now single, I made plans with my friends to hang out and watch movies. The three of us had a blast and none of us were crying or complaining about what a terrible day Valentine's Day is.
Not to say I didn't miss the feeling of being in love or given gifts, but, to be honest, even in a relationship, Valentine's Day wasn't really special because my ex didn't really do anything that special for me, actually, we did nothing on Valentine's Day, just sat around. Turns out, I had a better day without him. I have family and friends that care about me and that's on a day to day basis, so I am extremely grateful for the good things I'm given in life! My challenge this time: Make your day special on your own terms. Don't depend on someone else, the day is yours to create!

No comments:

Post a Comment